Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

DAY 12: It's nice to be foreigner;p

Just the other day, one couple visited our home-stay to have some good dinner and stay for a night. 

We (I, Ali, Pi Kong, and Nancy) had just finished our dinner and Nancy was teaching me how to say "smart" when the 2 guests came and joined our conversation.  

Nancy: Cong ming (but it really sounded like Tong ming)

Marsel: Tong ming 

Nancy: Bu shi, Cong ming.. (making funny shape with her mouth)

Marsel: Tong ming (this time, few spits came out)

---Nancy really has a high standard! She didn't care the fact that I am a newbie. So the conversation above was repeated for several times until one of the guests who had been listening joined our talk.--

Guest 1: Don't put your tongue in between your teeth. Put it behind your lower front teeth. Also, use a nasal sound like ng... bla bla..

(I was surprised by her English and how she explained the pronunciation)

Marsel: Errr... Are you a teacher?

Guest 1: No, but I took pronunciation class and I'm a linguist.

No wonder she could explain it in great details. We had a good little chat with the guests that night. They were nice guys, and I hope that they enjoyed their stay here. Before they went back to their room, they asked to take picture with me ^^. Yeah, I felt like a "bule"(westerner). Here's the picture:


From left to right: Pi Kong, Nancy, Guest 2, THATS ME!, Guest 2, and Ali.

Btw, I still dunno how to say "Cong ming"!!!!




2 comments:

  1. ak sih biasany bilang 'chung' ming..tell me is that the right one

    fera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mungkin iya jg si,. hmm, tp kalo ditulis susah fer,,hahaa, mesti denger langsung..

    ReplyDelete